No-Pesticide Solution to Wood Boring Bees: Simple Wooden Bee Box to Kill Carpenter BeesMy cabin is cursed with carpenter (wood boring) bees this time of the year. They buzz around trying to pretend that they are harmless bumblebees, hoping I won’t notice that they are eating holes in my cabin’s woodwork, in my porch swing, in the hand-made trim from my father. Grrrrr!

I don’t like using pesticides on the farm and my other methods (see the bottom of this post for those gory details) didn’t work well.

So, Pops built me some traps to get rid of the little suckers and I thought my readers might be interested in how to build wood bee traps to eliminate carpenter bees.

Below are step-by-step instructions with lots of photos to make it easy for you to make your own anti-bee box — and they WORK!

How To Build A Carpenter Bee Trap

Gather the following items:

• A water or soda bottle
  • A Plastic jar with a screw on lid (the kind nuts come in works great)
  • Scrap wood (a little plywood and a 1×4 board is all you need)
  • Staple gun with 1/4 inch staples
  • Drill with a bit used to cut holes for installing doorknobs, and one for making “bee” holes
  • A circular saw
  • Wood screws
  • Hammer and nails (medium finishing style nails)

First, cut four pieces of 1×4 the same length (about 10 inches long) and screw them together like this:

Build a trap and kill wood bees

Cut a scrap of plywood (see photo above) so it overhangs all four sides of the box. Go ahead and nail that to the box keeping equal distances (edges) on all sides for this “roof” for the bee trap.

Then, cut your plastic soda bottle in two pieces like this:

Trap carpenter bees using a soda bottle Trapping bees that eat wood

(Pops used a band saw to do this, I would have used scissors — but he has a fancy shop he likes to show off.)

Next, drill a large hole in another piece of the 1×4 like this:

DIY Wooden Carpenter Bee Trap

And cut the board to fit evenly over one end of the box you built out of 1x4s.

Double check the size of the hole (as compared to the size of your bottle) to make sure it will go through far enough Β — the screw on portion of the bottle should be past the board like this:

Using a plastic water bottle to make a bee trap

Now, mark the plastic bottle using the hole you just cut in the 1×4 board like this:

Mark bottle on wood bee trap with magic marker

Cut “flanges” in the top of the bottle using scissors:

Snipping flanges on bottle to build a carpenter bee trap

These flanges will be stapled to the board to secure the bottle top in place:

2013-05-19_17-23-33_903How to secure bottle onto top of wood eating bee trap

Attach them in three opposing locations, to keep the bottletop level as you proceed:

How to make a do it yourself bee trap for wood destroying bees

Securing flanges on carpenter or wood bee trap Stapling flanges on wood bee trap Trim off flanges on wood bee trap

Hammer down the staples to keep them flush:

Hammer staples of carpenter bee trap down

Trim off the overhanging flange pieces from the bottle and place the bottle-enhanced end on your box:

Secure bee catcher to bottom of wood bee tr Bottom view of wood bee trap

And nail it down (old-fashioned like I do, or all fancy and high-tech with an air-compressor nail gun like my Pops does (his does look neater than my version and he curses less with his method):

Bottom of carpenter bee trap secured in place

Cut a hole in the plastic lid of your nut-canister (this looked crazy-reckless to me, but Pops ignored my objections and managed to do it without cutting off any fingers, so it’s all good)

making a wood eating bee trap

Place the lid upside down over top of the bottle neck end of your box like this:

line up the lid on the bottom of the bee trap

It’s OK if it hangs over the edge of the box a little, no worries (the other piece of wood with the hole you see is for the second bee box trap we built):

Step-by-step instructions to make a bee box to kill wood boring carpenter bees

Screw the lid onto the end of the box — being careful not to place the screw where the jar will be when screwed into the lid (this one was a little close, but it worked):

Secure jar lid to bottom of bee trap with two wood screws

Screw on the bottom of the jar to be sure it fits snugly:

How to build a death trap for wood bees

Drill 1/2″ holes on all four sides of the bee box. It’s CRITICAL that these be the right size and at a 25-30 degree angle (slanted up toward the top of the box, where the flat plywood “roof” attaches). If the size of the hole is larger or smaller, or the angle is too far off, the bees won’t go in and the trap won’t work.

boring your own holes for wood bees to enter and save your wood trim on your house

Upside down homemade wood bee trap

Now, add a hanger on the top. Using a straight edge, make a mark from opposing corner to opposing corner:
X to eliminate wood bees!

Screw in a cup hook where the “x” is formed:

Hook to hang carpenter bee trap

TA-DAAAAAA! You now have a carpenter bee trap! (Or two.) That’s my pops in overalls in the background — trying to get out of my photo (but he failed to move fast enough. *grin*

Two home made wood bee traps to kill carpenter bees and save my wood!

Now you can hang your wood bee trap wherever you have seen indication of them eating through your wood.

A bee box to save the wood on your outdoor projects (and your cabin or house!)

The Last Step To Killing Carpenter Bees and How to Save Your Wood!

The last step is to take steel wool and fill the existing holes. You can wood-putty them later, but get them full of steel wool when you hang your boxes, so the bees will look for existing holes. When they find the holes on your traps, they will crawl in. Once inside, they will seek light (which will be most evident from the clear jar at the bottom of the trap). They will go to that jar and will be unable to maneuver to get back out the “funnel” of the bottle top. You then have the option of leaving them there until they die, or taking a more active role in eliminating them. Either way, you can screw off the jar and empty the bees between uses.

Once the active “hive” has been eliminated, you probably won’t see any wood-destroying bees again until next year. If you do this several years in a row, you will be eliminating the nesting (which is why they bore the holes — not for food, but to nest) and the population in your area will dwindle.

This works MUCH better than the other methods I’ve tried (throwing a flip-flop at them and stomping them when they fall down, fly swatters that are never long enough and a BB gun — which takes hours and is only partially effective). Cheers!

*UPDATE 4/30/2014 – Photos for this DIY blog have been reduced in size for faster loading!*

**UPDATE #2 4/30/2014 – Pops has agreed to have 25 of these ready to ship by Monday, April 5th. The cost of the traps will be $30 plus shipping and handling. I should have a quote on the shipping by tomorrow evening (Mom is working on this for us!)

It’s becoming a family project — I’m doing the marketing, responding to all my wonderful readers and I’ll be setting up a way to buy and pay on this site. Pops is building the Carpenter Bee Traps and Mom is helping with shipping cost determinations and keeping a list of interested people from the blog. The Honey Badger is being recruited to code the site for e-commerce (he just doesn’t know it yet!) *evil laugh*

Pops is not committing for any beyond the 25 until he “sees how it goes” — I’ll keep you posted and the first 25 will be sold when I get the e-commerce plugin finished over the weekend.

Until then, keep letting us know who is interested and we will do what we can to help! (Thanks for all the comment love — it makes me happy!)

***UPDATE 5/1/2014 – We sold out of the first 25 in less than three hours this morning! Pops has agreed to commit to making 25 more — next week. This means that if you order past 12:50 p.m. today (5/1) your order will be completed on Monday, May 13 and will be shipped on Tuesday, May 14th.Β

If they are completed earlier than Monday, we will ship them out earlier. If the demand continues to be high (and if Pops’ energy level stays just as high), I may ask him to commit to making another batch. We shall see.Β

Just let me know if you are interested and I’ll do my best to encourage him to make a few more, if they are needed.

What a wonderful adventure this is becoming! Thank you!

Update #2 for 5/1/2014:

Please note that any orders placed after 4 p.m. today (May 1st) may have a 2-week delay for delivery!! Pops is making these as fast as he can to meet my readers’ needs — but he’s just ONE Pops!

We have sold out of the original 50 bee boxes Pops committed to make. He’s now (with a little gentle nudging — or some pushing and whining from me) agreed to commit to 25 more — but the delivery will be two weeks out from Monday the 6th of May.

Update #3 for 5/1/2014:

YESSSS! Pops has agreed to make it an even 100! We are updating the shopping area now!

Update for 5/2/2014:

Pops is busy working in the shop today, making Carpenter Bee Boxes for all of my readers who ordered them yesterday — 100 in 12 hours!!!

Here are a couple pictures and a video of him making the holes (some folks asked how he got the angle right). As you can see from the video, he built a “ramp” on his drill press to give the correct angle (He’s so smart!) and to make it faster to mass produce the sides that needed the bee hole.

Thanks, Mom, for taking the photos and the video for us!

Pops in the "Pops Shop" - making Carpenter Bee Boxes photo (1)

PopsΒ also wanted me to add this information for those building their own traps:

Although some designs have many more bee holes, it’s a trade-off, since you may catch more bees faster — but they are more likely to get out before seeking the brighter light at the bottom and becoming trapped.

If you are making your own boxes, and you want to try more holes, he suggests drilling them, but watching them closely. If the bees in your many-hole design are climbing back out, fill the extra holes with steel wool until you are catching as many as possible without any escaping! Thanks, Pops!

UPDATE: MAY 7, 2014: Please read the blog post The Great Carpenter Bee Trap Adventure.

ORDER THE BEE TRAP HERE!

Carpenter Bees: How to Get Rid of Them With This DIY Trap!
Tagged on:

381 thoughts on “Carpenter Bees: How to Get Rid of Them With This DIY Trap!

• Pingback: The Great Carpenter Bee Trap Adventure! - Living Small - Voluntary Simplicity Ideas

• Pingback: Carpenter Bees - Homesteading Today

• March 6, 2015 at 3:49 pm

I am so glad I ran across this, I have been inundated with these dang bees for years and my loaf shed that is attached to my barn is about to fall down because of them. Easy to make thank you so much it will be fun.

• June 18, 2014 at 5:35 am

I built one of these and have caught 3 bees in the last month with a fourth lurking around the trap yesterday evening. Thanks for the “how to”. I thought using treated wood would deter these bees, but they still seem to find little spots on my carport that they don’t mind chewing on. Guess I’ll do some painting and hole filling as I don’t like killing bees, but this will work for the short term.

• June 23, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Thanks for stopping by Bryan! I’m glad the instructions helped you to capture some bees!

• June 8, 2014 at 10:54 pm

We made a few of these traps last weekend and finally caught our first bee !! We had sprayed bee killer into the holes in our house before plugging them with steel wool and were able to kill several bees as they exited the holes, so we weren’t seeing a lot of bees lately. We sure were surprised to see one in the trap today but are very hopeful we can catch more as time goes by. Thanks so much for making these plans available for those that really need them. Our poor cabin might stand a chance of not turning to swiss cheese after all!

• June 9, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Congrats, Carole! You are quite welcome and I’m so glad your traps are working and that you can get away from handling those toxic sprays — AND be able to keep your cabin intact! Thank you for taking the time to visit livingsmall.com and writing! Hope to see you here again soon!

• June 4, 2014 at 10:22 am

Living in the woods and in having a problem with these wood borers tunneling out my 1 1/2″ cedar fascia boards.. They bore holes vertically on the bottom edge of the board, up about an inch before going horizontally about 6-8 ” compromising the the integral strength of the board. Two stories up I got ambitious, first using carb cleaner with a flex nozzle in the holes to drive them out and kill’em, (they fall out dieing) then I used tubes of heavy duty constructive adhesive in my caulking gun and pumped the holes full completely. Sometimes it oozes out of adjoining holes 2 feet away. The boards have more strength filling up those long cavities and they can’t chew on that rock hard stuff. I’m planning on installing metal fascia wrapping around the bottom edge and the exposed backside of these boards for future prevention. “Spend hundreds to save thousands”

• June 4, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Sounds like a solution — and all affordable solutions are GOOD solutions!

• June 4, 2014 at 8:40 am

My bees are about gone for the season, but I will be making two of these for next April. I plug my holes with silicone caulk or the roofing screws I have left over. The rubber washer on them fits perfectly into the hole. We might just miss out of the fun we had with tennis rackets swatting the bees next year though!

• June 4, 2014 at 8:49 pm

LOL. I’m sure you can find an equally enjoyable springtime pasttime! πŸ˜‰

• June 4, 2014 at 12:38 am

My first and only experience with these bees was a few years ago they were coming in the basement. I happened to see a couple awhile vacuuming and yup I sucked them up into my canister. Now afraid to empty it I just kept coming downstairs and vacuum up the next batch. This went in for a week until there were non!!!! I like your idea better.

• June 4, 2014 at 8:50 pm

*smirk* Well, I like your vacuuming idea — but doesn’t it make your vacuum sound like it’s possessed? Or is that part of the fun?!? πŸ™‚

• May 31, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Great idea, so I ordered 2. Been hanging 2 weeks now, plugged all previous holes as advised, no luck catching those little devils though. πŸ™

• June 3, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Hmmm. Shirley, have you watched their habits? You need to hang the traps near where they already have bored holes — and be sure there aren’t hidden holes they are still using. To do this, just watch them — follow them a bit. I know it’s not an easy approach, but getting the right placement means you can have a natural, organic way to rid yourself of the little devils. Feel free to contact me again, if you are still having difficulty after watching their habits for a couple days. Most people see results in just a day or two, and I want you to also!

• May 26, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Love this idea so much that I bought the stuff to make the bee traps. My only question is how do I know if my holes are drilled at the correct angle? I hate to sound silly but I am new to this. Thanks!

• May 27, 2014 at 8:30 am

The angle isn’t as important as the size of the hole. Using a protractor…even a little plastic one intended for middle school kids…will help you drill the correct angle free-hand. Pops gets all fancy with his, but he was a math, physics and chemistry major back in college…so I’m assuming he has a bad case of the “can’t-help-its” when it comes to such things. I always tease him about it πŸ˜‰

• May 22, 2014 at 8:15 am

Built one as my front porch has been attacked for years. I plugged the holes and painted with oil paint which worked for a few years but they returned. I caught 3 of these buggers the first day and pissed off the others by plugging their holes.

Tell Pops thanks for the plans as this is much better than just plugging the holes to have them make more.

• May 22, 2014 at 1:33 pm

I will absolutely pass on the word. Thanks for letting us know! Glad the bee traps are working for you!

• May 20, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I built a couple of these and they began working within a few minutes. Thanks.

• May 22, 2014 at 1:33 pm

You are MORE than welcome, Ralph. So glad they are working for you!

• May 20, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Can I order 2 of these on May 20th, 2014? On the order form I didn’t see how you could order more than one. Let me know if they are still available. Thanks!

• May 22, 2014 at 2:45 pm

I’m sorry Diane, we have sold out of the two-packs and are just offering singles now. Feel free to place more than one order, if needed! Thank you for visiting LivingSmall.com!

• May 19, 2014 at 10:29 am

Can you tell me if we’re supposed to put any kind of food or anything in the jar? Or do we just hang it up empty?

• May 17, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Just went to Lowes for materials and plan to build 2 of these traps today. I really appreciate the tutorial. Thank you and Pops sooo much.

• May 16, 2014 at 9:25 am

I would like to have 2 of these please, if he makes anymore.

• May 16, 2014 at 8:35 am

I would like more info about the traps price & if anymore are being made.

• May 14, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Pops, you’re the best to give us such a great tutorial.

• May 14, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Thanks MJ!!! I think he’s pretty awesome, but I may be just a tad biased. Just a tiny bit…

• May 14, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Have you considered going on the show Shark Tank? I think you should! But if you get rich from the show, just remember I gave you the idea! LoL!

• May 14, 2014 at 8:27 pm

LOL. I think Pops is a little too busy for television appearances — he actually made an AWFUL face when I told him he was on YouTube now! *grin*

• May 13, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Please advise if you are going to continue to sell these as i do need at least one. Have been spraying them with hornet spray but that is getting expensive.

• May 11, 2014 at 5:17 pm

These traps are easy to make and work just like they say they would.

• May 12, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Bo — I had a reader asking for info from someone other than Pops and me on the effectiveness!

• May 14, 2014 at 4:15 pm

I have made four traps. Each is about 11″ long by 5″ per side width. I hung them yesterday. Not sure how long before the bees begin to enter the traps. Any thoughts? Any suggestions for placing anything in the plastic jars that might entice the bees to enter? Is trap placement location critical? Can the traps hang from hooks or do they need to be stationary? Finally, can the traps be painted or treated or do they need to be unfinished for best results? Thanks for your help.

• May 14, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Hey there, Steve!

Congrats on your completed projects! Woot! Go you! The best way to entice the bees is to block the holes with steel wool that they are currently using in your house. They can’t chew through the steel wool and will go on the hunt for other properly sized holes to crawl into. Put the traps where you have seen the damage — they seem to particularly like eaves areas — but let the damage you have seen be your guide. The little “roof” on the trap itself will encourage them to look for holes on the bee trap. Mine hang on hooks and work fine. Do not paint or treat the wood on the traps — they prefer soft-wood unfinished — and you want to provide the stuff they like to lure them inside.

Also, Pops wanted me to mention that if you have made the four-hole models that you should watch as they are around the traps to see which holes they like — usually they will pick one or two. Then plug the other holes with steel wool to discourage them from being able to have other holes for escape while they are finding their way to the bottom “trap” part.

Hope this helps!

• May 9, 2014 at 11:29 pm

Do you have any testimonies that you can post on how well these bee traps are working?

• May 10, 2014 at 11:13 pm

No one who has built their traps has reported to me on their personal results. I do know they work for Pops and I know they work great at my cabin. πŸ™‚ That’s why I wrote the How-to blog!

We sent out our first shipments of the Pops-built ones this week, and I’ve asked folks to let us know how it goes…so check back soon! I hope we will have reviews soon!

• May 13, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I’ve had a similar one. It works for carpenter bees and wasps, too.

• May 8, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Have you all tried any finish on the Bee Trap? Polyurethane or Shellac to seal the wood from the elements?

• May 9, 2014 at 8:50 am

Hi Bill –

Although that might look prettier and make them last longer (when in the elements), it will defeat the purpose of attracting the Carpenter Bees. They prefer unfinished, soft wood in which to build their nests (which is why they burrow into your home!!) They will use painted or finished wood — especially if there is a flaw that helps them to gain access easily, but it’s not their preference. We want to be sure that the trap is their preferred location (which means using raw wood).

You CAN extend the life by putting these under the eaves (and should, since that’s a location the bees like!). That will help protect them from the elements. Mine is hanging on my cabin’s porch for protection (and to keep the little pests away from me when I’m on my porch swing!)

• May 8, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Thank you! I just ordered 2!! Please tell your pops thank you from the bottom of my ❀️. My husband had a stroke and has difficulty with tools. Can’t wait to get them! Penny Kise.

• May 9, 2014 at 8:47 am

Hi Penny,

I’m so sorry to hear about your husband’s difficulty. I’m glad Pops can make these for you too! Take care of yourself and we will get these out as soon as possible — but realize it may take a few weeks. He’s out working this — and has been since early this morning and he worked late again last night. πŸ˜€

• May 8, 2014 at 12:20 pm

THANK YOU POPS FOR MAKING MORE. I don’t have a POPS anymore…so you are spreading a little love to us POP-LESS folks…there is a special place in heaven for people just like you! xoxo

• May 8, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Hi Tara! Thanks!!! I’ll share your note with Pops!

• May 8, 2014 at 8:56 am

I would like to purchase 2 if they are still available.

• May 7, 2014 at 9:38 pm

My G-pop found something similar, if not this very post, and has been making them by the dozens! I think he uses mason jars for the screw on-off part, but I dunno. Pops are pretty awesome! Mine’s GRAND!!

• May 7, 2014 at 11:34 pm

I agree, SGK! Pops are awesome πŸ™‚

• May 7, 2014 at 3:05 pm

My husband made one for us. They were eating our fence. Don’t see where I can upload a pic for you though. Will let you know how it works out. Thanks for the helpful info.

• Pingback: Get a Free Book on Beginning Beekeeping | Living Small

• May 6, 2014 at 11:39 pm

I am excited about these bee traps, and am hoping to be on his list to get some of them. They are crazy on my front porch!!!! πŸ™

• May 7, 2014 at 3:13 pm

We will have some news here on LivingSmall tomorrow on availability. Look for a new blog post with all the details! πŸ˜€ (And be sure to fill out our inquiry form so we don’t miss you when we announce!)

• May 6, 2014 at 10:49 pm

I love everything about this! I live in a log home and have had to pay a lot of money for an exterminator for the last couple of years due to the stupid carpenter bees. I miss my pop! (been gone 20 years now) He would have loved your Pops, he was clever too! Thanks Pops! You’re helping a LOT of people!

• May 6, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Thank you for your comments, Kay. As you already know, having a “Pops” is awesome and I love it when people appreciate my Pops! I can’t even imagine my life without him and Mom. I’m so lucky I still have them both.

• May 6, 2014 at 2:54 pm

My solution to carpenter bees is 8 grand children with badminton racquets. Loads of fun for them. And effective on the bees.

• May 6, 2014 at 12:26 pm

This looks awesome! Would be great to keep the bees from eating my son’s playset. And he couldn’t laugh at me trying to swat them with my hat.

• May 6, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Don’t deny the boy the fun of laughing at good ‘ol Dad… but build a Carpenter Bee Trap — and amuse yourselves in other ways! πŸ˜€

• May 5, 2014 at 6:41 am

LOL I will share this with my Dad, he likes projects like this, and funny enough, his workshop looks alot like your dads!!!

• May 5, 2014 at 11:09 pm

It’s kinda awesome to have a Pops, isn’t it Adrianne? Aren’t we lucky? πŸ˜€

• May 5, 2014 at 6:31 am

Need 2 bout to eat my porch down !!!

• May 4, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Perfect timing. We have noticed three nests. Can’t do

Figure out a way to get rid of them. Thanks for the help.

• May 4, 2014 at 7:00 pm

one of my best memories of my father=in-law is shooting carpenter bees with a .22 rifle (we used rat shot) in his infested yard in North Carolina.
    The high cost of ammo these days makes your trap a more economical solution, just no where near as much fun.

• May 4, 2014 at 12:17 pm

This is horrible. The bee p9pulation is on the decline and without them, in a few years we will all starve to death. I would never kill a bee. How can you promote killing something so vital to our survival.

• May 4, 2014 at 1:58 pm

I would never promote killing helpful, non-destructive bees, Carole. But, once you spend every cent you have to build a little cabin in the woods as I did — and it stands as a tribute to the wonderful man (Pops) who raised you and helped you to build the cabin board-by-board and nail-by-nail — and then you see those little buggers boring holes in it EVERYWHERE — Yep, I become a little upset. I still don’t spray chemicals, but I do want rid of the offending insects. I plan to raise bees on the farm when I have the time — and encourage others to do the same, but if you had these bees eating your house and destroying everything you have ever worked to build — I think you might feel the same way. πŸ˜‰

• May 27, 2014 at 1:23 am

Angela you & your pops are helping a lot of us folks that’s having issues with these destructive bees ! People such as Carole always seem to fly off the handle over something that they evidently have not educated themselves about FIRST !! As a farmer believe me there are far more other reasons we will all “starve to death” and it’s not going to be because of bees !!! I get very irritated when people are negative and criticize when they have no clue what they are talking about. I bet you if she had termites destroying her home she would have an exterminator in there ASAP without thinking a second thought about what “good” they may be doing !!! (Personally I don’t know what good termites do but you get the point ) Thanks again to you and pops for helping so many of us and so glad to see you defend yourself in an adult manner such as you did !! God bless and keep up the good work on helping all of us it is greatly appreciated !!

• May 5, 2014 at 10:06 am

Carol, honeybees are the bees everyone is concerned with. As a beekeeper, I raise millions of them a year,and am very interested in their survival. That being said, I have no problem anniolating the carpenter bees eating my home.

• May 5, 2014 at 11:01 am

Carole, as the story says, these are wood-boring, destructive bees. They are not helpful honey bees. In fact, these wood bees take pollen that would help the honey bees so in fact, you are SAVING the honey bees while getting rid of destructive bees.

• May 4, 2014 at 7:24 am

I really, desperately need one of these fabulous contraptions that Pops makes! Unfortunately when I click on the link to buy one it says that I need a password?? Are there any still available? Where can I go to get one?

• May 4, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Sorry, Samantha. We were trying to change the order page to be less frustrating since Pops is not taking any more orders at the moment. We did the opposite and frustrated the snot out of you guys. I’m so sorry! We are still encouraging everyone to fill out a form on this page: http://www.livingsmall.com/product/carpenter-bee-trap/ in case Pops is willing to make more once the current orders are filled. Right now, he’s pretty darn busy! But if you leave us your information, we will do what we can to convince him to make more!

• May 3, 2014 at 11:06 pm

How can I buy some bee traps? They are eating my house quickly.I am too old to build traps! I need to buy pre made ones…thanks

• May 3, 2014 at 10:11 pm

We want to buy one…. I don’t see where to fill out a form.

We live in Mississippi

• May 3, 2014 at 10:08 pm

We would like to buy one, please!!!!!!!!

• May 3, 2014 at 4:53 pm

I suspect “Pops” is about foundered on peanuts by now, given that he needed a hundred empty jars.

• May 3, 2014 at 5:51 pm

LOL. He has had to change the design a little to incorporate “buyable” jars — so his expenses have gone up quite a bit on these 100 jars (and the weight has increased his shipping cost too) — but he’s LIVING in the shop now trying to get them out to people by the dates promised — and he’s fairly peanut-butter free πŸ™‚

• May 3, 2014 at 7:25 pm

How do I go about ordering a bee trap. Tried clicking on the “Order Bee Traps Here” but could not get any information.

• May 3, 2014 at 11:45 am

I built two in one hour. I already had all material and the same tools that POP has. I hope mine works cause they are eating my shop and steps up. Thanks for posting.

• May 3, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Congrats, Stephen! Show us a photo! We want to see how others incorporated the instructions πŸ˜€

• May 3, 2014 at 10:40 am

We have a cedar sunroom and have battled theses creatures for years. I am getting tennis elbow. Any chance I could order 3 of them?

• May 3, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Things are going well in the shop, Bob. The first day was a little rough (but I think there was a bit of *total* overwhelm with the reader response! He’s moving right along today and he’s making noises like he might be willing to do more, so be sure you fill out the form on the purchase page to let me know you are interested and I’ll be in touch the second he says yes! (Which I hope will be by the end of next week!) *keeping fingers crossed for you*

• May 3, 2014 at 10:26 am

I am smiling because we have a Pop…with a workshop…and many fancy (*read* scary – tools). I am asking for one of these for Mothers Day from my very own Pop.

May your Pop know how very much he is appreciated from this mama with her very own Pop.
    All the Best.

• May 3, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Awwww. That’s sweet. I’ll let him know what you said. Everyone should have a Pop with a cool shop! πŸ˜‰

• May 3, 2014 at 9:06 am

Please put me on the list for one!

• May 3, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Hi Al, please be sure to go to http://www.livingsmall.com/product/carpenter-bee-trap/ and fill out your information. There are too many comments on this page for me to filter out those interested, and I’d hate to miss you! If he agrees to do more, I’ll be contacting those people who fill out this form FIRST. Thanks for reading LivingSmall.com.

• May 3, 2014 at 8:33 am

VERY INTERESTED!!! WOULD LOVE TO GET ONE. OUR CABIN IS GOING TO LOOK LIKE SWISS CHEESE IN A GEE MORE YEARS:)

• May 3, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Hey, Michelle! Please be sure to go to http://www.livingsmall.com/product/carpenter-bee-trap/ and fill out your information, if you haven’t done so already. There are too many comments on this page for me to filter out those interested, and I’d hate to miss you! If he agrees to do more, I’ll be contacting those people who fill out this form FIRST. Thanks for reading LivingSmall.com.

• May 2, 2014 at 11:22 pm

I need one of these, please! My wooden porch chairs are so holey I’m almost afraid to sit in them. I’m in Hatton, Alabama.

• May 3, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Hi Regina. If you haven’t already done so, please be sure to go to http://www.livingsmall.com/product/carpenter-bee-trap/ and fill out your information. There are too many comments on this page for me to filter out those interested, and I’d hate to miss you! If he agrees to do more, I’ll be contacting those people who fill out this form FIRST. Thanks for visiting my blog!

• May 2, 2014 at 11:18 pm

I would love to order 2 of these! Me and those bees have bee fights all the time right now! I don’t mind bringing them down with whatever I have in my hands!

• May 3, 2014 at 6:02 pm

I feel your pain, Savonna. It’s quite a battle! Please be sure to go to http://www.livingsmall.com/product/carpenter-bee-trap/ and fill out your information. There are too many comments on this page for me to filter out those interested, and I’d hate to miss you! If he agrees to do more, I’ll be contacting those people who fill out this form FIRST. Thanks for reading LivingSmall.com.

• Pingback: What Can Happen if A Blog Post Goes Viral? Here’s the Buzz! | Angela Allen's Wicked Blog

• May 2, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Thanks so much for the directions on building one of these. We have looked and looked for home remedies to get rid of the wood borers. An exterminator told me it would cost us $600 for them to come in and get rid of their “nest”.
    We have been using butterfly nets along with the electric fly swatters to eliminate them.

• May 2, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Hi guys! Just wanted to let you all know that I’ve updated the original blog “how to” post to include a couple photos of Pops out in “The Pops Shop” working to fill LivingSmall.com reader’s orders for Carpenter Bee Traps from yesterday.

Mom sent these, along with a video to demonstrate how he made a ramp for his drill press to get the correct angle. Thanks Mom!

I wish they were a little higher definition, but I’ve not been able to convince Mom to abandon the iPhone for a more modern Android phone… yet! πŸ˜‰

• May 2, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Thank you for providing instructions so that my husband can build it. In the meantime, my children and I will continue our batting practice on the bees! “Aim small, miss small”. It is also fun to use a shovel–then you get to hear when you hit one…”Tink”!!!

• May 2, 2014 at 3:17 pm

LOL Barb — I think the tennis racket is the most popular “alternative” Carpenter Bee Control method here on the blog! Tell your hubby to hurry! πŸ˜€

• May 2, 2014 at 4:32 pm

It says that the product is out of stock already.

• May 2, 2014 at 3:15 pm

I’m so sorry, Barbie — we didn’t expect the kind of response we had. Pops agreed to make a couple for my readers who asked if I would loan them my Pops (which is NOT happening!!) or if he would be willing to make one for them. It snowballed into 100 orders in about 12 hours yesterday!!! I may be able to talk him into making more once he gets all the current orders built and sent… but there are no guarantees. If you are interested in buying one (should I be successful) — Please fill out an interest form over on the contact page. That’s how I’m keeping up with requests after the first 100 orders closed out. The comments section is getting to expansive to be able to comb through — I’m afraid I’ll miss someone and I certainly don’t want to miss you if you are interested!

• May 2, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Sorry for the duplicate entries — need to order 2 of these if at all possible. I’m in McDonough, GA. Thank you!!

• May 2, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Not a problem, Tammie. I deleted the duplicate. Just fill out the form and be sure to note that you want two and I’ll let you know if Pops is going to make some more!

• May 2, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Hi Tammie. Yes, we are currently sold out. Pops got in 100 orders yesterday in less than 12 hours!!! He’s living in the shop now, trying to get the first 25 out by Monday, the second by the following Monday and the rest by the Monday after that! He isn’t willing to commit to any more right this second — not until he can meet his current commitments. I’ll be working on him once the current orders are filled though (wish me luck!).

Please fill out an interest form over on the contact page. That’s how I’m keeping up with requests after the first 100 orders closed out β€” just in case I can get Pops to make a few more in a couple weeks once he gets all these finished and we can get them shipped! I want to be sure I don’t miss anyone.

• May 2, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I’d like one when & if you all have any more in stock or are going to be making more. I’d love for this to be a weekend project for us but we don’t have the necessary tools. But our wood bee problem is… a problem so we would definitely like one of these!

Thanks!

• May 2, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Hi Mandi — thanks for the comment. Please fill out an interest form over on the contact page. That’s how I’m keeping up with requests after the first 100 orders closed out β€” just in case I can get Pops to make a few more in a couple weeks once he gets all these finished and we can get them shipped! The comments section is getting too expansive to be able to comb through — I’m afraid I’ll miss someone and I certainly don’t want to miss you!

• May 2, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Hi! Love this idea and bless you for showing the how to video! I was wondering though if you and your Pops would consider selling precut wood and shipping just the wood unassembled? I don’t have the machinery to do the cutting especially the drilling and measuring the angle for the entrance hole, but I can put it together with my own soda bottle and jar? What do you think?

• May 2, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Hi Carmela! What an awesome idea! I’ve called Pops (who grumbled a bit because he had to stop working in the shop on orders to answer my call — LOL– Bless his heart!) He says he wants to get the current orders done before he takes on anything else — but I love the idea of a “kit” — and really appreciate your suggestion. Please fill out an interest form over on the contact page, since that’s how I’m keeping up with requests after the first 100 orders closed out — just in case I can get him to make a few more in a couple weeks once he gets all these finished and we can get them shipped!

• May 2, 2014 at 5:49 am

I just use Hornet spray !!!! Lot less complicated.

• May 2, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Hi Judy — a chemical approach isn’t a method I prefer (personally), but if it works for you, use it! πŸ™‚ Thanks for visiting LivingSmall.com.

• May 2, 2014 at 4:26 am

I tried this last year, and a tennis racket worked better than this trap. I have a lot of wooden structures everywhere but the bees always go to the older lumber. The best defence I’ve found against these bugs is a tennis racket and a can of raid.

• May 2, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Hi James! For the traps to work, you have to put steel wool in the existing holes — all of them. Like most of us, bees will go back to what is familiar before trying something new πŸ˜‰ Although the tennis racket is a sporting solution, I tend to avoid the pesticide route, personally.

• May 2, 2014 at 1:41 am

Excellent idea. Alternatively I have used pigeon caulk, which is a clear sticky gooey caulk that never dries usually used on window sills to keep pigeons from roosting, and inserted it into the existing holes with a caulking gun. When the bees come back they try to burrow through the goo which they then cannot get off their bodies or wings, and they eventually die. The downside is the bee holes are usually in places that are really hard to reach without a ladder, and it only works after they have already ruined your house trim with holes.

• May 1, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Angela
    Thanks for posting such a detailed account. I think you are onto something here. I bet you could get Tractor Supply to sell these in their store… you need to set up an assembly line.

Something to add for your readers…. I’ve never tried steel wool but I have had great success with expanding spray foam (Great Stuff). The bees won’t chew on the plastic foam and the ones inside get coated with the sticky goo and die. I took a can to my shed two Springs ago and then waited around with a bad mitten racket to kill the ones that returned. I went two seasons before I had to retreat my shed. But I like your trap idea. If you get a site set up with paypal I’ll buy three.

Happy Spring,

SailorBob

• May 1, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I used to put duct tape over the holes just to watch them try to get in or out…. quite entertaining if you haven’t got much to do πŸ™‚

• May 1, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Can you send me 2 of them? I live in Louisiana and these bees are horrible. My 6 year old son loves playing outside, and these pests (trying to not curse) chase him around the yard. Plus me being highly allergic to all bees wasps included, makes it hard to get close to them. I will be grateful and will be more then happy to pay for the shipping. Thank you in advance.

• May 1, 2014 at 6:34 pm

BTW, where did he get the large jars with plastic lid? TIA!

• May 1, 2014 at 6:46 pm

You can use a peanut butter jar, a mason jar, or any jar about that size.

• May 1, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Angela, where exactly does Pops get the jars/bottles for the traps. My son is very interested in trying to make a few.

• May 1, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Hi Wayne! For the bottles – he uses water bottles or 20 oz soda bottles (whichever is available). For the bottom of mine he used a plastic cannister that trail mix came in for one and a peanut butter jar for the second. He just told me that he’s going to have to go to mason-type jars for the ones he’s making for other people — because he’s run out of extra cannisters in the shop and is going to have to go buy jars for the bottom. But your son could use any of those.

• May 1, 2014 at 6:03 pm

you think you have problems with the carpenter bees! I live in East TN. where the large red headed woodpecker thrive. They look like the extinct Pileated Woodpecker. These woodpeckers have done extensive damage to my out buildings searching for the carpenter bee larva! These birds seem to be time sensitive as they come at the same time each A.M. The only solution I have found for this problem is a load of #7 bird shot! SORRY!

• May 1, 2014 at 6:43 pm

I love woodpeckers — adore them — but they have never attacked my cabin. I’m sure that would change my view on the species!

• May 1, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Noted the flip flops, fly swatter etc. I did hit one with a BB gun once and it must have felt to the bee like being hit with a cannon ball. A badminton racquet works very well if you can get close enough. Wiggle it slightly and they get curious and come a little closer. Take a big swing and knock them into the next state. Good exercise too. I’m going to try one of your boxes.

• May 1, 2014 at 6:44 pm

LOL. Well as long as you have FUN trying to solve problems, that’s what really matters, right? πŸ˜€

• May 1, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I just ordered a bee trap online. How long does it usually take to ship(i am in Louisiana)?

• May 1, 2014 at 4:28 pm

You got in on the first batch, Jena, and Pops has promised to have them ready to ship by Monday. May 6th. That means we will have them packaged up and postmarked on Tuesday, May 7th. Then it’s just a matter of the number of days required by the carrier. Sorry I don’t have an exact date. We will move these out and get them to you as quickly as possible!

• May 1, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I did not even know what these bees were….they hover around my deck and they are huge!!! …and annoying. I would like to purchase one of these if you make anymore. Please let me know how to do this. Thanks.

• May 1, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Please put me down for one.

• May 1, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Hi, I am interested in purchasing one, too. We have a shed for our horse trailer that is being destroyed by these bees. Last year, I sprayed Wasp & Hornet Spray in the holes and waited for them to come out, so I could knock them down and step on them. Not exactly how I like to spend my time!!!

• May 1, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Angela,

I am also a pops (well a pop pop actually) but your pops may have a bit more time than this pops. I’m tired of poppin’ these pesky little carpenter bees so I too would love to purchase 2 for me and also 1 for my daughter since her pop doesn’t seem to have time to build what your pop can build in his fancy pop shop. Please let me know when you are ready for this pop’s cc number or check or cash or money order and I’ll pay you.

• May 1, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Hey Steve! I’m not sure MY Pops had any idea what he was getting himself into when I said, “Hey, remember those photos I took when we were building the bee traps that annoyed you? Well, I posted a blog about it and now I have a bunch of my readers asking if MY Pops would be willing to build them one, because they aren’t lucky enough to even HAVE a Pops with a shop!” He said he would make one or two — and then the requests started FLOODING in!! Right now, he’s agreed to make 50, and I’m working on him for more, since the requests keep coming in. The orders are here: http://www.livingsmall.com/product/carpenter-bee-trap/ — we will be adding more inventory, if I can get Pops to agree to make more.

• May 1, 2014 at 1:56 pm

I might like to buy one

• May 1, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Please tell me I can order one of these!! My entire house has been eaten by these since we purchased it 5 yrs ago. Nothing has worked and the woodpeckers are now helping the bees! Argh! My husband is always outside with various long “toys” duct taped to the end of a long pole whacking at them lol….. But seriously, my house is polka-dotted now from all the putty and not the cute log cabin we purchased πŸ™ I’ll go straight to paypal if you have just one extra!! Thanks for your help πŸ™‚

• May 1, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Please let me know if you have any for sale. We live in a wood cabin and fight the bees every year. Thank. Laura BonneCarrere

• May 1, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Would like to order one ASAP! Please send info-thanks!

• May 1, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Please put me down for one. I will check back to see if and when you post ordering information. Thanks.

• May 1, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Please put me down for 4. My cousin forwarded me this web address – my loghome borders a federal reserve & these pests are an annual constant battle. Thx.

• May 1, 2014 at 1:13 pm

You can definitely put me down for one. Just let me know where to send the check. πŸ™‚

• May 1, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Hey, Mark! If you want to order one, the orders are here: http://www.livingsmall.com/product/carpenter-bee-trap/ — we will be adding more inventory, if I can get Pops to agree to make more. We are only doing PayPal at this time — because we were trying to find the fastest and easiest way to get this up and going for the folks who needed them. If only a check will work, comment back with your email address and I’ll try to work something out for you!

• May 1, 2014 at 12:58 pm

I am interested in buying two of these as well. Are they still available?

• May 1, 2014 at 12:57 pm

I have a huge wood bee problem. I plan to build two of these today. Great tip. I think Pops’ problem is going to be what to do with all those nuts.

• May 1, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Hi Ralph! Let us know how the project works for you. Right NOW, Pop’s problem is the demand for Bee Traps. LOL. But he’s trying to keep up! It’s kind of an unexpected new market for the Man-of-Many-Talents. πŸ˜€

• May 1, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Sounds great! I’d also be interested in purchasing one. Pls provide details on how and when to order. Thanks for sharing the idea, too!

• May 1, 2014 at 12:48 pm

I would like to order one also.

• May 1, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I was reading your post and I have the bees on my porch and so does my Mom and Dad. I would love to get a couple of them from you. Please let me know if i can still get them or Pops is not making them anymore to sell. I saw he was only making twenty five. My email is rugrats735@att.net let me know if i can get them. Thanks

• May 1, 2014 at 12:29 pm

I’d like to order one – how do we go about placing an order?

• May 1, 2014 at 12:22 pm

I am interested in purchasing 2 of your bee traps. Please send me information about ordering.

• May 1, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Great idea, I am going to make a couple of these. I don’t think the angle of the hole is as critical as you say. I had some at a previous house that bored into the fascia and soffit. Those were a combination of angles, some even going straight up! But I’ll start a bit shallower than 45Β° and see how it works. Thanks!

• May 1, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Hi Kudzu – I just got off the phone with Pops, who told me that it’s NOT the angle that matters as much as the SIZE of the hole — it has to be EXACTLY 1/2″

Guess I wasn’t listening as closely as I THOUGHT I was. Pops just laughs at me — so now you know why I occasionally HELP in the shop, but I don’t SUPERVISE in the shop. πŸ™‚

• May 1, 2014 at 6:33 pm

I concur with the size, about the size of my pinky and very consistent.

• May 1, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Please let me know when you have a price for these bee traps–I would like 2

• May 1, 2014 at 12:03 pm

please let me know when and where and how I can order a bee box

• May 1, 2014 at 11:53 am

I’m interested in buying one. Please add me to your list. Thanks

• May 1, 2014 at 11:44 am

I would like to purchase one. My granddaughter is deathly afraid of them…

• May 1, 2014 at 11:34 am

Would like one, and my name to list,

• May 1, 2014 at 11:32 am

Would like one!
    Please add me to list!
    Johns creek GA

• May 1, 2014 at 11:22 am

I’d like to order one, please.

• May 1, 2014 at 10:49 am

Love this idea. Quick question.. For a person that doesn’t have much experience in building, what would you suggest on how to do the angles of the drilled wholes? I can do everything but the angled holes.

Thanks
    D

• May 1, 2014 at 4:50 pm

I’ve had a few people ask about that, D — Mom is going to go out into the shop and take some photos of that part of the process and send them to me to share on the blog. I hope that will help the Do-It-Yourself folks! Check back this evening, I should have them up. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on LivingSmall!

• May 1, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Pops says as long as you use a 1/2″ bit to make the proper sized hole, that your method of putting the whole in the wood isn’t so dire. Aim for the right angle, but don’t obsess over it. DO obsess over the correct sized hole. πŸ™‚

• May 1, 2014 at 5:13 am

We need one as soon as yesterday! There invasion of getting in your face is just too much. Please add me to your list to buy one!! Thank you πŸ™‚

• May 1, 2014 at 7:35 am

I need one for my 80 yr old mothers porch. There driving her crazy!!! Had mistake in email address.

• May 1, 2014 at 1:27 am

I use a tennis racket and kill as many as I can. But more always seem to come back.. Ughh.. They are irritating..

• May 1, 2014 at 1:33 am

My BB gun made it more of a challenge, Michelle πŸ™‚ But I got to be a pretty good shot before I got the Carpenter Bee Trap!

• May 1, 2014 at 4:17 am

Fill the holes with grease from a grease gun. They try to bore back out and can’t shake the grease.

• May 1, 2014 at 4:19 pm

I’ve not tried that, but I think like the caulking approach, it would only help for those inside, not those outside. But, I’m not sure. Personally, I just wanted them GONE — it made me angry that they were eating the cabin that Pops and I built.

• May 1, 2014 at 4:05 am

I like to get em w a little fire coming out of the hole. Singes the wings off & you can stomp them.

• May 1, 2014 at 4:18 pm

That’s a little gruesome, Amy, but if it works, it works! πŸ™‚

• May 1, 2014 at 3:49 am

I would like to buy one of these also please.

• May 1, 2014 at 3:32 am

I would love to purchase one for our home. 850-708-4401.

Please let me know how I need to pay, or if there are any still available?

• May 1, 2014 at 3:17 am

I’m interested in purchasing a few of these bee boxes that your Pops make. Please e-mail me with the needed info. I’m excited to maybe get rid of these bees that are destroying a 110 year old wash house that is on our property.

• May 1, 2014 at 3:11 am

I always just take a stick when I see the vermits and sqweesh them in their holes. Break off the stick to keep the hole full.

• May 1, 2014 at 3:04 am

I want one. We have them bad on our back deck.

• May 1, 2014 at 2:59 am

I know I want one for sure!!!! Might want 2!!!!!! Checking with another person to see!!!! Thank you!!!

• May 1, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Just share the link with that other person, Linda. I’ll get the new inventory promised for next week on the site asap.

• May 1, 2014 at 2:56 am

I am very interested in purchasing one of these. These bees are destroying my lawn mower shed.

• May 1, 2014 at 2:46 am

I am SOOOO in! I am sick of walking out and sawdust falling in my hair and the bees leaving behind their pee and whatever on my vehicles. I think if they keep going I wont have a carport in a couple of years. They will have eaten it all. So sign me up.

• May 1, 2014 at 2:46 am

I would like to purchase one for my nana. Thank you!
    601-807-4486

• May 1, 2014 at 2:30 am

I have carpenter bees also. They love the deck post. I too tried filling with silicone or anything calk but they return every year. I discovered last week that they must not like wasp. The bee that “guards” runs all wasp away. The idea you shared is wonderful. Thank you.

• May 1, 2014 at 2:28 am

I’m lost on the angle of the hole. Drilling straight down with the bottom to the right and the top with the hanging hook on the left, do you drill a bit down toward the right (the bottom) or toward the left (the top)?? Maybe you could make a quick simple picture of a easy drawing to make this more clear. I’ve got them darn things making Swiss Cheese out of my carport facing board and its been going on for years…..

Wood love to make one and try it out, sorry i’m a bit broke or would just get one ready made from you.

Thanks for any help, Tommy.

• May 1, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Tommy, I’ve put a call in to Pops — he’s a little busy out in the shop trying to make these for the folks who need them, but I’ve asked Mom to take a photo of the drilling and I’ll post it on the blog as soon as she sends it over to me. I hope that will help!

• May 1, 2014 at 5:08 pm

I just got off the phone with Pops, who told me that it’s NOT the angle that matters, it’s the SIZE of the hole — it has to be EXACTLY 1/2″

Hope this helps!

• May 1, 2014 at 2:22 am

Interested in at least 1! I hate those little buggers!!

• May 1, 2014 at 2:00 am

Tried a store bought one of these traps. It was a lot smaller. It does catch woodborers, but not enough to help much. Making some by your plans ! In thew meantime A Tennis Racquet works great, they even make an electric racquet that zaps them when you hit them. Robert. Love your plans Thanks

• May 1, 2014 at 4:10 pm

LOL. I like the electric racquet, Robert — I never thought of that! Hope your project turns out as well as ours did! Let me know πŸ™‚

• May 1, 2014 at 1:58 am

I would like to order one, just tell me where to send the money!

• May 1, 2014 at 1:57 am

Oh, yes, I would love to have two traps. Mom, put me on your list!

• May 1, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Hi Hugh! Yes, I love bees — and appreciate their role in pollination and growing a garden πŸ™‚ I hope to raise honey bees in the future! What I don’t like are the destructive varieties like Carpenter Bees. Pops actually built a Mason Bee box for Mom to have on a tree near her garden to encourage the GOOD, NON-Destructive varieties to come visit their house. (I might do a blog on that particular Pops project soon!)

• May 2, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Ooh, I’d love to hear about the Mason Bee Box, too. Your Pops is great!

• May 2, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Yeah, he’s pretty darn awesome, if I do say so myself. I think he’s going to be using Mason jars for most of these orders. He had a few of the plastic jars — but he CERTAINLY wasn’t expecting this kind of response, so he’s going to have to buy the jars to fill all the current orders. Poor Mom, she tries to keep him from saving stuff and I think this little blog post has squished her ability to EVER get him to throw away ANYTHING again. My LivingSmall.com readers and I may be all about the “decluttering” and “living small” — but I think we have ruined any chance my Mom may have EVER had!! πŸ™‚

• April 30, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I’m interested in one also. These buzzing, destructive pests are driving me crazy

• May 1, 2014 at 1:38 am

I would be interested in 2 of these!

• May 1, 2014 at 1:31 am

PLEASE let me know if he will sell two of them to me. I’ll pay anything he asked . The repairs will cost me more. Thank you

• May 1, 2014 at 1:34 am

Hi Debbie – I just posted an update to the blog itself with all the info. I’ll add more info as I get it as an additional update. I feel your pain and I’ll see what we can do for you!

• May 1, 2014 at 9:18 am

How big is the hole to drill on the angle where they enter? 1/2in or so

• May 1, 2014 at 4:50 pm

I’ll have more info on the hole particulars soon, James. (I’ll be adding photos and info to the blog). Several people have asked, so I need to get that info in there for you guys!

• May 1, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Hi James, I just got off the phone with Pops, who told me that it’s NOT the angle that matters as much as the SIZE of the hole — it has to be EXACTLY 1/2″

Hope this helps!

• April 30, 2014 at 9:22 pm

I would like to buy one of these also..

• May 1, 2014 at 1:18 am

• May 1, 2014 at 1:12 am

Please let me know the cost. Thanks.

• May 1, 2014 at 1:01 am

Please let me know cost?

• May 1, 2014 at 1:06 am

The cost is going to be $30 plus shipping and handling. Mom is working on shipping rates tomorrow morning.

• May 1, 2014 at 12:26 am

Please add me to that list!!

• May 1, 2014 at 12:13 am

I hate these dang things! They’ve started already this year. It’s a wonder I have a porch left, there’s sawdust all over in the summer πŸ™
    Please put me on the list if one (or 2) become available.
    Thanks!
    PS – is Pops available? LOL πŸ˜‰

• May 1, 2014 at 1:04 am

Pops is NOT available. LOL. He’s going to be VERY busy! πŸ˜‰ I’ve got you down for 2 Wanda.

• May 2, 2014 at 11:21 am

Darn, I missed getting it and now it’s saying out of stock πŸ™ Is there any way I could just get one?

• May 2, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Hi Wanda. I’m so sorry! They sold out REALLY fast — 100 in about 12 hours yesterday. Pops kept saying “yes” when I whined that my readers needed 25 more… but he pulled the plug at 100. The Honey Badger put up a contact form on the order page for me this morning, so people who are interested can give us their information — just in case Pops is willing to make more once the 100 promised Bee Traps are complete. I think the current orders will keep him busy for a couple weeks. πŸ™‚

If you haven’t filled out a contact form on the order page, please do so. I promise I’ll let you know if I can talk him into another round in a week or two!

• April 30, 2014 at 11:36 pm

i’ve been using 4 bee traps of a different style (principle of trapping the same) and it is unreal the number of bees that can and will be trapped. An occasional wasp will end up in a trap also.

it is rare for a female to sting and when she does, she packs a wallop just like her cousin bumblebee will do. do not ask how i know this!!

• April 30, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Do you have any advice on placement of the traps when you hang them? Thanks for the steel wool tip! I will try that!

• April 30, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Put them near any visible holes. Mine worked several feet away with no issue πŸ™‚

• April 30, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Please let me know when and if your Pops decides to produce and sell these. Would love to purchase a couple!

• April 30, 2014 at 11:12 pm

I know you’ve said it over and over again…but please post here when (and if) you decide to sell them and for how much. Thank you so much!!!!!!!

• April 30, 2014 at 10:36 pm

I would love to have one of these. I have no way of making them.

• April 30, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Am interested in purchasing … Please put me on your list. Thank you

• April 30, 2014 at 6:10 pm

I’m like some of these guys, have no one to build one, send me some info please.

• April 30, 2014 at 9:48 pm

I could have used this a few years ago. We lived in a small house that the exterior was completely made of wood. The bees bored into the rafters of the porch. This porch was built when the house was built so the rafters were part of the house also. The bees didn’t bother me to much, but when the woodpecker started in on the wood going after the bee larvae…..I had issues

• April 30, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I believe that although they look dangerous they have no stinger and can’t hurt anything but the wood of your house. Is there some kind of scent or oil to put on the trap to attract them there instead of making a new hole right next to the one filled with steel wool?

• April 30, 2014 at 9:44 pm

The male bee can’t sting, but the female can. The females seldom do, but they can. There is no scent, and you create the hole in the trap at the proper angle to attract them. By filling the already bored holes, they search for any properly sized hole — and then they go into the trap. πŸ™‚

• April 30, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I need 2 of these, please let me know the price, thanks.

• April 30, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Let me know if you sell these.

• April 30, 2014 at 7:56 pm

I’ve reduced the photo sizes for faster loading, thanks for letting me know, folks!

• April 30, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Oh please put a number or email for us to contact to order! These things are eating my porches for 8 years now. We smoke them out and then spray a few days later. We do go back and fill in the holes, but they just drill new ones the next year.

• April 30, 2014 at 7:21 pm

LOVE THIS ONE,,I HAVE LOTS OF THESE BEE ALSO WILL USE THIS.

• April 30, 2014 at 7:21 pm

CAN SOME ONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO FINE HONEY NEST AND HOW TO RIT OF HONEY BEES

• May 1, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Please don’t harm honey bees! In every area there are bee keepers that would be happy to take them from you. Are you talking about honey bees or yellow jackets? Honey bees usually stay away from people but yellow jackets may go out of their way to sting you.

• May 1, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Oh, no, Michelle. We would NEVER harm a honey bee! Pops used to be a bee keeper (He’s a man of many talents) and I hope to raise honey bees in the future. These are neither honey bees nor jellowjackets. They are destructive wood-boring carpenter bees and they destroy what we work so hard to build!

• May 1, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Angela, I was actually replying to the comment above mine from LATRICIA. Her post asks how to find the nest and get rid of honey bees. I knew you & Pops would have nothing to do with disturbing honey bees or you would be selling insecticides instead of enviro friendly bee traps! BTW do you have traps left?

• April 30, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I had a few of these bees causing havoc in my deck. My solution was to caulk the holes at night when the bees were nesting. That way they were trapped and died in their own holes. Fixed the hole, got rid of the bees in one step.

• April 30, 2014 at 6:39 pm

The only problem with that solution, JD, is that it kills the one nesting, but not the one that’s out scouting for food and carrying it in. So you have a 50% success rate — which helps, but won’t solve the problem.

• April 30, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Thanks for the idea.

The pictures are way too big. I’m on a hardwired university line with a fast computer, and the pictures keep throwing errors. I’ve had to refresh once per picture and I still don’t have them all. Please resize to something like 1024×1024 or less.

• April 30, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Agreed. Fantastic article, but had a problem with the images. I saw this posted on Facebook and have already read a few folks have used similar things to good success. I’m definitely doing this!

Any idea how to measure for the 25-30 degree angle for drilling the holes?

• April 30, 2014 at 7:47 pm

The photos have now been fixed, guys. Let me know if you have any additional issues loading — and THANKS for sharing on Facebook! And Pops used a gauge on his drill press, if memory serves. (I think you could probably “guestimate” it — as long as you aren’t too far off. Just go a little more shallow than the 45 degree angle. But, obviously I’m not the carpenter of the family — and Pops did tell me that the angle was important to attract the bees — it has to replicate the angles THEY use when boring the holes, or they won’t go in.)

• May 1, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Ok, Doug, I just got off the phone with Pops, who told me that it’s NOT the angle that matters — it matters, but not as much as the SIZE of the hole — it has to be EXACTLY 1/2″

Sorry for the confusion. Obviously I’m a carpenter’s helper (at best) and not the Pops. πŸ˜‰

• April 30, 2014 at 11:30 am

Bot I will have to make a couple of them, because I have so dam many bees, that if u walked on the front porch all u see is piles of saw dust every where, I don’t even know how I still have a railing in the porch, thank you for the advice I really hope it works so tired of these bees, can’t even sit on my front porch because all they do is hover in your face,

• April 30, 2014 at 4:24 pm

That’s how it was for me, when I talked to Pops. He came up with this solution for me and it has been a charm for ridding me of my bee problem.

• May 2, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Until you can get a trap ordered or built….I put the kids to work with old tennis rackets I had bought at yard sales. It is so fun & wicked at the same time to hear them go “splink” (evil chuckle) when they hit the string! If they get a really good hit it splits them in half bahaha

• May 2, 2014 at 2:25 pm

you should enlist friends and neighbors (even your recycle center) for your plastic containers to keep costs low! You have also given me project ideas for my kids & 4-H club, Thanks

• May 2, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Good idea, I’ll pass this on to Pops. The problem is, we are going to have to order some of the parts (bottles and jars) to get them in fast enough to fill the existing orders. If he decides to continue with this project after the first 100 — we can try to do a little more creative sourcing! Thanks!!!

• May 2, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Ok, Athelyn, that really IS Wicked! *smirk* (And little gory too). Pops is doing his best to get these made and out to you. I’m not sure where your order fell in the timeline — but if you will check the notes, your shipping time will be based on what time you ordered yesterday. We are doing *first come, first served* to be fair. We will get you the trap a.s.a.p. — and then you can tell the kids to drop their rackets and start pulling apart steel wool and stuffing it in the existing holes. (That way your kids will continue to have fun thanks to the Bees!) πŸ˜‰

• April 30, 2014 at 1:32 pm

I’d love to have a few of these boxes and I have no Pops or equipment to make me one. Do you sell them on an Etsy site or someplace else?

• April 30, 2014 at 4:31 pm

I actually gave Pops a call to see if he would like to make a few of these to sell to my readers. He says he will go out to the shop tomorrow and make up a handful. At that point, he will give me a price based on his materials and the time it takes him to make them. Then, I’ll come back here and let you guys know when they will be available and at what price. Does that work for you?

• April 30, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I would also love to have a couple of them – we have a terrible infestation on our front porch and my youngest is terrified of them buzzing around her head.

When you have the cost information, please post – I would buy at least two.

Thanks!

• April 30, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Where can I get the steel wool?

• May 1, 2014 at 11:39 pm

If you have a Dollar Tree near you you can buy a pack of 12 small pieces for $1.00. One or two packs will fill many holes!

• April 30, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Please sell me a Bee trap….I need one NOW….thank you Susan Farris I will pay shipping!

• April 30, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Thanks for the detailed plans. Looks like some of the pictures aren’t displaying.

• April 30, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Hi Brian – I’m sorry the photos are all there, but they are HUGE — so they aren’t loading on slow connections. I chose to keep them big so readers could click on them and blow them up for detail, but I may need to go back in and optimize them for a little less detail to improve load times! I’ll try to get to that this afternoon. Thanks for the heads-up!

• April 30, 2014 at 3:01 am

Just moved to an old house in the country. Wood boring bees are horrible. I’m going to try this.

• April 13, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Sweet! I live out in the *country* and we have wood boring bees taking over our deck, carports,, sheds & our landings. Going to build a few of them. Hopefully we can get rid of them in a few years.

• April 14, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I hope it works for you — it was a perfect fix for me! (Just don’t forget to fill the existing holes with steel wool!)

• March 30, 2014 at 4:48 pm

I don’t get the steel wool thing. Put it in the holes we just drilled? How do the bees get in there?

• March 30, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Hi, sorry if that was a little unclear. You put the steel wool in the holes the BEES have been drilling into your house (or shed, or shop or whatever). Doing that will prevent them from returning to the familiar holes — because they can’t eat the steel wool and continue boring and making them worse — and they will search for already started holes elsewhere (like in your bee trap).

• May 1, 2014 at 6:10 pm

i have tried chaulk, play-doh even wood putty.. they just bored it out again or more holes, so i’ll give thie a try.. thanks in advance

• May 1, 2014 at 6:42 pm

You are welcome, Brenda — let me know how it goes when you make yours!

• April 30, 2014 at 12:30 am

A simple way to get rid of these pests is just fill the holes with calking or glue .Then, the ones outside can’t get back in and the ones inside can’t get out. It sounds a little iffy but, worth a try.

• April 30, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Unfortunately, this simple solution only encourages them to bore more holes πŸ™

• April 30, 2014 at 7:26 pm

MY DAD DID THAT EVERY TIME HE SEEN A HOLE.

• May 1, 2014 at 12:14 am

I tried filling with caulking. It worked on all but one and the bee in there actually somehow was able to push the caulking out of the hole and escape. The other holes I must have been able to fill them before a bee renested in it. I have seen this “trap” and was going to make a couple of them. If you do more research, you will find that if you are painting the item use a high gloss light color they hate the “glare” and will not bore in it. Good luck treated wood only works for a year or two, traps and painting are best options.

• May 1, 2014 at 1:05 am

True, Deb. I had treated wood that they attacked — which surprised me. You also need to use soft wood, not hard wood for the traps. They prefer that.

• May 1, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Bud Hanson
        Filing the holes in your siding without getting the bees out first will drive them into your house. If they are alive they will persist.

• May 1, 2014 at 9:10 pm

No Hon, plugging the holes does not work. They will eat their way out in another direction. I shove the straw of a spray can of Liquid Wrench (thicker than WD-40) and fill the tunnel. Usually, after a few minutes a big black bee will come squiggling out to die in the open.

• May 2, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Had 4×4 post treated wood. They had bored holes all around post. Liquid wrench sprayed in the holes caused them to back out and dye. Some pics of them on my Facebook pics.

• May 2, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Hey Kenneth! — I’ve not tried that method. Feel free to share your FB link if you want to show others here on the blog!